Carving a pumpkin into a Jack O’ Lantern on Halloween is a popular pastime, and pumpkins are now synonymous with the holiday. However, the tradition began with the Celts on the Celtic festival of Samhain (pronounced Sow-en), with the carving of turnips into face lanterns to protect from evil spirits. It wasn’t until the Irish reached America several hundred years ago, and discovered pumpkins, that traditions changed. Now, we can’t imagine a Halloween without pumpkins! These white ones are fantastic for Halloween as they can be made into ghost faces. They're very tasty if you decide you'd rather eat them, and should reach around 3-4kg in weight.
These large ‘Grow Your Own’ kits differ from others on the market as they provide at least two opportunities to grow the plant from seed. The kits contain four seeds and two environmentally friendly mediums for them to grow in. Place them in different areas and that’s two chances of germination! (Any type of squash germinates incredibly easily in just days.)
Kit consists of:
- Reusable sturdy matt black coffin box (size 13cm x 23 x 5cm)
- Large wooden stake for marking them up as they grow into seedlings
- Parchment paper instruction ‘scroll’ tied with satin ribbon
- Four seeds and two small plant pots
- Bag of compost with 'Morticulture' sticker
- Recycled, shredded orange tissue paper packaging (acid-free)
- Orange and black tiny paper roses
NB - they will be adult pumpkins for Halloween 2021 when planted in spring 2021.
All items are made to order - please allow several working days for them to be dispatched
*Shipping (UK) is tracked via Hermes
*Shipping (International) is Air Mail or Economy but Air Mail is much faster (2-3 weeks) Economy can now take apparently 2-12 weeks!